Friday, April 16, 2010

L10 Day 6 - Yeah, Baby, Yeah!!


Hadn't run since Monday, and there were a couple of times today that I felt a normal calf tightness in the right leg.  But, everything felt reasonably good when I got home.  Tomorrow is supposed to have sustained winds at 23 mph with gusts to 36 mph, so ... yeah, might as well give it a go today.

I did what I will call a composite 5K.  The first ~1.25 miles is on the road and includes a significant hill.  The next mile is on the middle school track, and the rest is on the way home.

I rocked its world!!!


Here is the actual route.  I can't show you accurate elevation for the whole route because the track is "off-road", but below the route is the elevation sans the track portion.



Look at that hill ... 90 feet over 1/2-mile.  The track is at about 300 feet elevation.  Then I'm headed back home.  Below, the heart rate is in red and the pace is in blue:


Finally, here are the lap times:


My second lap was fast because it benefitted from the 60 ft downhill.  The rest of the first mile was slowed by the 90ft uphill.  I'm kind of surprised my mile on the track wasn't faster than a 2:51 1/4-mile, but whatever.  Then, on the run home ... I kept getting faster and faster.  It was all I could do to contain myself.  It's weird to think "Go for it!!" with three-quarters of a mile to go!

My final time for the 3.11 miles (5K), was 34:41.70.  This is a personal best by about 100 seconds.  On the way back, I chilled with the wives.  Ooops, should have stretched.  I'm hobbled a bit, and in the old familiar ways, but I'm hoping to do a nice long, slow jog on Sunday.  And, tonight, after my spaghetti digests, I plan to accomplish W1D2 of  the 200 / 100 / 200 program.

W1D2
200 / 100 / 200

Well, gave the abs a couple of days to heal up and I think that goal was partially met.  I didn't have to grit my teeth to hold myself in good push-up form.   But on the last two sets, I could feel that lower part of the abs thinking of mutiny.  Also, I read some fine print in the squats plan, and that encouraged me to skip to the middle column of Week 3 Day 2. So, that's what I did for squats.

Sit-Ups: 15, 18, 15, 15, 20; Total 83
Push-Ups: 6, 8, 6, 6, 7; Total 33
Squats: 19, 25, 19, 19, 30; Total 112

4 comments:

  1. Good Job Amigo! Greetings from West Virginia. I meant to tell you earlier - - no; no Garmin yet - in transit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave. I found your blog about 2 weeks ago, rushed through all the entries and it's now on my daily reads. It's very enjoyable and inspirational to an older and chubbier C25K'er.

    You probably said this in one of the earlier posts (okay I'll confess I skimmed through all the earlier posts and my retentive memory is somewhat poor) What watch/software are you using and to track your runs?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am using a Garmin Forerunner 305. They are about half the price of Garmin's latest models. I got mine at Best Buy, and you can also get them through Amazon.com.

    Thanks for giving my silly site a read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dave wow I am impressed with your 100/200/200 progress it is excellent. I finally got around to updating my blog today..I have been a bit slack lol. great to see that your still running and keeping on top of it all
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete