Sunday, May 23, 2010

L10 Day 23 - Hill on Old Bridge Road

I got a couple of new shirts and socks yesterday, and picked a bright orange Adidas shirt for my mission of conquering one of the worst hills in Woodbridge:  The hill on Old Bridge Road.  I got a late start, thanks to staying up too late, and it was 70° out with a humidity at 90% when I started at 10:30.  Here is some information on the hill:


This is six sidewalk squares from the storm drain, which is pretty much the lowest elevation at 125 feet.  In four-tenths of a mile, with a constant grade it will be at 275 feet.  The other side of the road is unjoggable, so I had significant mileage on concrete.


I didn't feel too comfortable thanks to the humidity, and while going down Minnieville, I elected to make my run less than epic by cutting back to Colby to get to Old Bridge.  On the other hand, it's nice to snap off a run and still be able to get six miles out of it.  When I got back to Old Bridge, I walked the hill up.  Some combination of humidity and mind fog simply was not in the mood.  In cooler, drier conditions I'm sure I would have kept going and I wouldn't have been back to that stretch of Old Bridge.



As you can see, that mean old hill got my heart rate up to 160+ for a good stretch.


I don't really have any excuses for why the last mile was so slow.  When I got home, I was ushered to the basement where my clothes were slung over a shower rod.  I just sat there, staring at the clothes dripping.  they're still pretty wrecked!


So, I didn't get an awesome pace or an epic distance, but I conquered a tough hill and broke into some new neighborhood areas that I can explore in the future.  That will have to do.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm impressed that you're up to 6 miles! That's great!

    I think I might have to start at 3 miles and work back up after my 2 week hiatus... It's kind of disheartening to see how fast you lose it!

    Anyways, keep it up, that's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete