Monday, May 31, 2010

L10 Day 25 - Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

For Memorial Day weekend, Tami and I took the kids to Rehoboth Beach.  We'd never been before, and we had a great time.  In fact, the first day there (Friday the 28th), I got several compliments on my tie-dye shirt.  I later learned that rainbow colored shirts are sported by a good number of beach visitors.  To learn more about this aspect of Rehoboth Beach, you can click here.  Or, you can take my word for it - there are numerous places that cater to the GLBT community:


But, I must say that everyone is very well behaved and I couldn't care less about what other people do in designated areas, so we all had a fabulous time.  Here is the view from our hotel:


We stayed at the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel, which has to be the best place on the beach.  It makes the other hotels look like concrete block bomb shelters from the 1950s.  The service was great, and the Victorian decor was unique.  The kids loved the exotic birds in the lobby.


The hotel has a good restaurant, but half the fun on these trips is to explore the space. The first night, we went to Fins Fish House and Raw Bar.  It was worth the wait.  The only place we ate twice at was Mariachi Restaurant.  We used to live in Tucson, and since moving to Northern Virginia, we hadn't run across Mexican food this good.  The best breakfast award goes to Retro Cafe.  Max had French Toast with M&Ms.  The pancakes were superb.

We ate like pigs - everyday, all day.  Ice cream, french fires, gyros - right next to the beach.  We had room service deliver decent wines at night with some crab dip. 


By far, the kid's favorite attraction wasn't the beach.  It wasn't watching Daddy fly a kite.  And somehow, it wasn't even the french toast with M&Ms.  It was Funland.  Here they are riding in a traffic jam of helicopters:


I rode it with each of them for their first time.  And we also did bumper cars.  But, they mostly enjoyed playing the games of skill and luck.  I played too, winning numerous stuffed animals for the kids.  I'm number 4 below, on my emergency trip to the outhouse.  I won a sheep.


Here's Elaine and Max after a couple three trips to Funland:


Now for the jogging ...

My left hip had been a bit strained, so I let it rest until Monday morning.  I jogged for 3.6 miles in 45 minutes, three miles of it was on the boardwalk.  There were a good number of joggers out there, and I thought I fit in pretty well.  I didn't wear the Garmin, I wore my dress watch for time and used Google Earth afterwards.  It was about 70° and 91% humidity.  We put my clothes in a plastic bag for the long drive back to DC - the traffic was the pits because we didn't leave early enough.

I enthusiastically recommend Rehoboth Beach.  It was crowded, fun, safe, and easy on the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment