Monday, February 1, 2010

Week 2 Day 2


Today's routine was the same as W2D1.  I wiggled at 3.3 mph and jiggled at 5.1 mph, except the last jog where I did 6.0.  The incline was always 1%, and at the end of runs my heart rate was always between 160 and 172.  Both ankles got a little fatigued, but thankfully both shins felt pretty good.  I haven't had a complaint from the quads in a while now, so I will score that as progress.  I had a lot of thoughts running through my head about form.  I experimented with lean; concentrated on raising ankles rather than lifting knees; letting my hips go back with my legs so I wouldn't be such a robot; etc.


I'm doing some stretching after runs now.  I need to get a protractor on this one, but my guess is that's a 45-degree angle.  I don't know if that's good or bad, but it was more stretchy than I thought it would be.  I don't have any soreness in any muscle.  The only place I can find soreness is in the center of my shin bones - right on the bone itself, as if Tanya Harding had them whacked a week or two ago in an effort to keep me out of the winter olympics.
                                                                               

This is my piriformis stretch, which twists my leg around so that the foot is higher than the knee.  I don't know exactly what a piriformis is, but I think I stretched it.
                                                        

I shouldn't have done any "stride work" yesterday on my rest day, but a keen-eyed observer thought that maybe my shoes were contributing to my shin and ankle woes.  So, here is a close up of my shoe.  That's about two inches of heel, folks.  It sticks out a little on the back and curves up very slightly.  One theory is that if I do a heel strike, the shoe propels the front of my foot down so violently, that my shin muscles try to dorsiflex to save the day and get upset in the process.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment